Boy Scout Troop 16
St. Joseph Catholic Church
Canton, Oh 44708
Youth Protection Policy
To: All adult leaders of Troop 16
November 30, 2009
It is Troop 16's policy and commitment to remain compliant with all National Boy Scout Youth protection requirements and Diocese of Youngstown Child Protection policies.
For the "Boy Scout Youth Protection" requirements, all adult volunteers should complete and sign an "Adult Volunteer" registration form, making sure that your social security number is included. Turn this form into myself or Bob Long for processing. Then, you should take the BSA Youth Protection training (on-line is the best way), print out a copy of your certification of completion and provide the troop (myself or Scott Kettler) with a copy.
Regarding the "Diocese of Youngstown Child Protection Policy", there are basically 4 (four) parts (the troop has all of the forms):
The bottom line to all of this is that every adult that goes camping with the troop, is thinking about going camping with the troop, or spending any amount of time with the boys is required to take this training (per the BSA and the Diocese). From a liability standpoint, it makes sense and it really is in the best interest of the boys. If you have already completed one of these requirements, please provide us with copies of whatever you have.
- First is to read the "Child Protection Policy" published by the Diocese of Youngstown.
- Second, turn in a signed authorization and verification (appendix 4) and a signed acknowledgement (appendix 5). These forms should be turned into the troop so they can be turned into the Parish office who will subsequently forward them to the Diocese.
- Third, there is a video titled "Treasured Gifts from God" along with a "live" training class which must be viewed and there must be a signed "certificate of attendance". A copy of this should be turned into the troop. The original will be retained by the program facilitator.
- Fourth, each adult must be fingerprinted and have a background check for criminal records performed ("WebCheck") through the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. Walsh College and Buckeye Security performs this service. Other locations are available upon request.
Walsh College (Ferrell Hall) 330-499-7090 (call first)
Tuesday: 8:30am - noon
Buckeye Security (6th Street SE)
Wednesday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Thursday: 10:00am - noon
- The fee for this service is $29 - $30. The troop will reimburse you for this expense.
- Results of the Web Check should be sent to:
- Scott Kettler
- Troop 16 Chartered Organization Representative
1214 Ridge Road NW
Canton, Ohio 44703
If you have any questions, please contact either Scott Kettler (330-454-3279) or myself (330-280-3807).